Get Your Furnace Ready for Winter with Help from HVAC Contractors in Panama City, FLNovember 30, 2017 8:05 pm Leave your thoughts
As the temperatures continue to drop, it is becoming clearer and clearer that it won’t be long before those chilly days take over and winter fully sets in. That means that the time has come to make sure that your furnace and your entire heating system are ready for the winter. Here are five tips from your local HVAC contractors in Panama City, FL on what you will need to do make sure your furnace is ready to get you through the season:
- Turn on the thermostat: When it is finally time to transition from the air conditioning to the heating system, make sure to turn the heat on and bump up the temperature a couple of degrees higher than the current room temperature. This will encourage the heating system to kick in right away. If a few minutes pass and you don’t hear anything, you should remove the cover of your thermostat to make sure that all of the wires are connected. If you don’t feel comfortable doing this yourself, you can always call in a professional to come and take a look.
- Change the filters: The purpose of changing the air filters in your HVAC system regularly is twofold. First, if your filters are dirty and full of debris, your system will have to work that much harder in order to continue to provide your home with the consistent temperatures you desire. Secondly, the debris on the filters can actually infiltrate your home right through the ducts, which could affect the quality of the air that you and your family members breathe.
- Cover the AC condenser: Unless your HVAC system uses a heat pump, it is a good idea to protect your outdoor AC condenser from falling icicles during the winter. A large trash can lid that is tied down with bungee cords should provide sufficient protection for the unit.
- Lubricate the motor: Just like all other mechanical parts, your heating system’s blower motor will need additional lubrication from time to time to prevent premature wear. As you prepare for the long winter ahead, you can turn off the power to your heating system and lubricate the bearings to ensure that the motor is ready for another season.
- Test the ignitor switch: If your heating system is older, it might have a pilot light that needs to be relit. If you have a newer system, you can employ the electronic lighter. In either case, if the light doesn’t come on after you have tried the reset button and checked the breaker, consult with a professional to help make sure your system is ready for the winter.
Here at Complete Air Conditioning & Refrigeration Inc., we understand just how important advanced preparation for the winter is, and we are ready to use our expertise to make sure you stay warm this season. We have served as the premier HVAC contractors in Panama City, FL since 1985, and you can trust our knowledgeable staff to help make sure your furnace is in good working condition and is ready for another season. Give us a call today to schedule your appointment!
Categorised in: HVAC Contractors
This post was written by Writer